30 Navy Nail Looks Ranging From Simple to Show-Stopping

Publish date: 2024-05-03

Navy nails are a classic look that's gorgeous on everyone, but how you wear the shade is up to you. Keep it simple with a few coats of the rich, steely shade, or incorporate it into a show-stopping design. It's adaptable enough to wear year-round, but it's especially pretty during the cooler months. "Baby blue was such a popular color for spring and summer, and this fall, we’re taking a deeper approach with rich, vivid navy," says CND co-founder Jan Arnold. "It’s the perfect transition color as it is such a beautiful cool tone, but still versatile."

When painting navy nail designs, you can get really creative. "Navy can be a fun, playful color to do negative space designs with," says nail artist Rachel Joseph. "It’s also a beautiful shade for French manicures. It makes for a nice bold statement." Arnold adds that it pairs well with a "complementary deep orange to create a striking design."

Meet the expert

Ahead, explore 30 navy nail ideas below to inspire your next manicure.

Liquid Blue Marbles

@winnieisawesome

“I love this design because it looks like liquid, smooth marble, but also wave-inspired,” says Arnold. “The blues blend together beautifully with a pop of smoky white to really tie it all together.”

Rich and Monochrome

@disseynails

Lights Lacquer At Last ($11) is a gorgeous true navy blue. It's a rich shade with depth thanks to subtle gray undertones.

Minimalist Lines

@rachelsuenails

This is a minimalist negative space manicure designed by Paintbox using Marine ($18) by Bio Seaweed Gel. "I love how timeless this mani is. Great for those new to nail art," says Joseph.

Slim Lines

@mabelyn___

Similar to the Paintbox look above, this design showcases how you can do the same minimalist line design on an opaque base instead of a natural nail.

Deep Cobalt

@disseynails

This Lights Lacquer polish is the perfect shade if you want something deep but not dull. The hue has a ton of vibrance and the high-shine top coat makes it even more eye-catching.

Royal Shimmer

@lifelovemani

Spice up navy nails by opting for a glitter polish. This deep blue-purple lacquer packed with shimmering and ultra-fine cobalt flakes is House of Hades ($15) from Moon Cat.

Black, Blue, and Brown

@nailsbymaki.nyc

This nail tip design uses dusty shades of blue and brown anchored by black lines for a moody, yet graphic look.

Gray Navy

@lifelovemani

“This is a gray navy that is a one-coat wonder,” nail artist Erika Michelle writes in her Instagram caption for this manicure selfie. “I was in the mood for a very moody mani and remembered that I had this one in my stash to try.” She used the shade What Is This ($10) from Jessie Monroe Nail Care.

Cocktail Hour

@disseynails

I'm obsessed with this stunning look. It uses a navy so deep it leans purple to create these strong swirls for a beautifully balanced look.

Navy Chrome

@gossipandgloss

Combine navy nails with a chrome powder finish for a strikingly dark, yet reflective look.

Alternating Tips

@disseynails

Lights Lacquer At Last ($11) is paired with a light green polish to create this look. Instead of creating tips with a bare base, the artist chose to use two opaque shades and alternate which one serves as the tip and which serves as a base, creating a graphic, yet simple pattern.

Cat Eye Shimmer

@gossipandgloss

Cat eye polishes are so fun because each nail comes out a bit differently. This blue polish has tons of dimension and movement for extra pop.

Matte Navy

@gossipandgloss

A matte topcoat can totally change the look of a polish. This look features matte navy nails with a single beige glossy nail as a contrasting accent.

Evil Eye

@gossipandgloss

This high-gloss design features two little evil eyes on each hand, creating a subtle yet impactful look.

Thin Swirls

@klawsbysonia

Three shades of blue — navy, denim, and baby — create this design. It features thin swirls of each color atop a nude base.

Thick Swirls

@lolo.nailedit

Swirls are often done on a nail base, so I love this look, which utilizes the trendy design on an opaque blue base, creating a fun monochromatic look.

Mixed Finishes

@disseynails

What makes this gradient so fun is that it uses similar blue hues in different finishes. It uses Lights Lacquer polishes in the shades I’ll Be Home ($11), Woman (discontinued), At Last ($11), and Barry ($11).

Fine Shimmer

@disseynails

Shimmery polishes are a great way to get a dimensional look with very little effort. We love how deep this blue shade is.

Matte Glitter

@gossipandgloss

Confuse the eyes by pairing usually reflective glitter with a matte top coat. This navy-and-white look was created with polishes from OPI.

Mixed Metals

@gossipandgloss

Accent a simple navy mani with a metallic pop. This look uses gold and silver accents that accentuate the shape of the nail bed.

Two-Tone Navy

@gossipandgloss

While this dark navy shade is stunning on its own, the addition of bright cobalt on the ring fingers adds a nice bit of interest.

Magnetic Florals

@danaturenails

Pair soft florals with edgy metallics to create this fun navy nail look. The polish has a ton of dimension and makes the nails look like a galaxy.

Glitter Topcoat

@nails_by__bridgett

A chunky glittery topcoat can make any nail look a bit more exciting. This design pairs a solid navy shade with a swirly silver accent nail.

Blueberry Accents

@Danaturenails

By using a pale blue shade as the base for this blueberry design, the navy hue of the fruits is really able to pop.

Intergalactic

@danaturenails

Blues, purples, and black create a great base for this manicure. It's topped with a fine glitter top coat and star decals for an intergalactic look.

Snowflake French

nails_and_beauty_by_daisy

For a winter manicure, do a shimmery navy French tip and accent it with thin blue lines and snowflakes on just one nail to not overwhelm the look.

Lightning Strike

@nails_and_beauty_by_daisy

This cool look is reminiscent of bolts of lightning. It features white and gray polish over a deep navy base.

Celestial Accents

@nails_and_beauty_by_daisy

Navy blue and gold will always be a stunning pairing. This design uses navy as the base and gold for celestial and astrological symbols.

ncG1vNJzZmivp6x7qrrSrbClnV6YvK57zZqtsmWelratv4xxam1vYGd9